History of Plumstead

Province; Western Cape
Coordinates: 34°1′20″S 18°28′20″E.
Municipality: City of Cape Town
Area: 4.58 km2

Early days in Plumstead

in 1762, a large piece of land beyond Wynberg and the Constantia Valley was given to Hendrick Jergens and Johan Barrens, both free burgers and Dutch settlers. They named it ‘Rust’ (Rest) and ‘Werk’ (Work). After the decline of the Dutch East India Company, when the British occupied the Cape some twenty years later it was granted to Hendrick Bouman Brigeraad. In 1807 An Englishman, Henry Batt, arrived and bought the area renaming it Plumstead, after a district in London. He farmed the area for twenty-six years, before dying in 1833. The farm Plumstead was then sub-divided and bought by Messrs. Higgs, Laubscher and Southey. In the 40s and 50s, a mix of houses were built making up the suburb we see today.

Things to see and do in Plumstead

WEATHER IN PLUMSTEAD TODAY

see all listings in plumstead

 

Useful Numbers in Plumstead

  • Police: Diep River – 021 710 7300
  • Traffic department: Motor vehicle registration 3 Victoria road 0860103089
  • Post office; 021 762 3185
  • Fire: Wynberg 021 444 9623
  • Water: Municipal offices 021 710 9430 / 0860 103 089
  • Electricity: 021 710 9430 / 0860 103 089
  • Ambulance: 10177
  • Library; 021 797 7240
  • Coct: emergency 107 ( City Of Cape Town)
  • SPCA: Cape Of Good Hope Grassy Park 021 700 4140
  • Schools: John Graham Primary School 021 797 4243
    Timour Hall Primary School 021 762 1161
    Plumstead Preparatory School 021 705 3700
    Plumstead High School 021 761 8006                                                                                       [/vc_column_text]
    [/vc_column][/vc_row]

Some Local Listings