History of Diep River

Province Western Cape
Coordinates; 34°2′3″S 18°27′52″E
Area ; 0.75 km2
Southern suburbs
Municipality City of Cape Town

Johann Georg Rathfelder arrived in the Cape in 1835. When he got married here he inherited a “halfway house” on the Cape Town to Simon’s Town route. It was known as Rathfelder’s Inn. In the 1840s it became the headquarters for The Cape Hunt. As a halfway point it conveniently became a Mail coach stop and subsequently a post office which was opened officially in1854.
Today Eaton convalescent home makes use of the original buildings. In 1858 the name of the village was changed to Diep River after the close-by river of the same name. The railway line was extended to the area in 1882. The postcode for Diep River is 7800

weather in diep river today

see all listings in diep river

 

Things to see and do in Diep River:

Useful Numbers

  • Police: Kirstenhof 021 701 2426
  • Traffic department: Hillstar traffic department ;021 799 5100
  • Fire: Wynberg fire station: 021 444 9623
  • Water: 0860 103 089
  • Electricity: 0860 103 089
  • Ambulance: 10177
  • Library Plumstead; 021 797 7240
  • Post office; Retreat: 021 712 0242
  • Closest hospital/clinic; Diep river clinic 021 712 9850
  • Pharmacy;
  • SPCA: Grassy park 021 700 4140
  • Schools
    Westcott primary school 021 712 6600
    Oakley house high school (remedial) 021 7133885

Local Listings

Search