History of Caledon

Province: Western Cape
Overberg
Coordinates 34°13′48″S′42″E
Area 18.06 km2
Municipality Theewaterskloof

Caledon was named after the first British governor of the Cape The 2nd Earl of Caledon, Du Pre Alexander. It is the capital of the Overberg region and it owes its existence to the iron-rich hot springs which come from the slopes of the Klein Swartberg mountains. These springs were first discovered by the Khoi Khoi people who called them Dispore Kamma (Hot water). The mineral springs became well known in the Cape in the early 1700s and Ferdinand Appel built a structure, within which visitors who would travel from far away to enjoy the warm waters. The water is a constant 49.5 degrees and is free of organic matter. A bathhouse was built in Caledon in 1797 and a sick house/sanatorium was also established but this was destroyed by fire.
The community in Caledon grew and the establishment of a courthouse “Drosty” and a church were needed. A Dutch Reformed church was therefore consecrated in Caledon in 1813. The Cape railway line reached Caledon in1902 however, the line was closed in 1962.
The historical Caledon Wild Flower Garden was established in 1927 as part of the greater n Klein Swartberg Mountain nature reserve. The well-known flower show occurs annually in spring (September) where there are exhibits of an array of fynbos from the area.
The economy of Caledon revolves around grain production, Stock farming, and wool production

The license plate prefix in Caledon is CAM and the postcode is 7230

WEATHER IN CALEDON TODAY

see all listings in Caledon

Things to see and do in Caledon:

  • In spring the hills are yellow with canola flowers in bloom.
  • Shaw’s mountain pass
  • The museum in Constitution Street was built in 1917
  • -The Caledon Wild Flower Garden was established in 1927 as a part of the nature reserve on the Klein Swartberg Mountains where there are 135 species of Protea. Since 1892 a Wild Flower Show has been held here every spring to exhibit the spectacular and abundant array of fynbos found in the area.
  • The Holy Trinity Church
  • The Town Hall,  Coordinate:-34.2367655769, 19.4259121154
  • The old Masonic Lodge
  • TheStandard Bank building.
  • The old water mill at Beaumond farm.
  • The Caledon Parkrun is held at the golf course Smal street Every Saturday at 8:00 am.
  • A walking tour travels some of the main streets of Caledon, featuring the Caledon Museum, old historical buildings, a restored Georgian Cottage and parts of the old wagon road from Cape Town. contact Caledon tourism  028 212 1511

 

Useful Numbers in Caledon

  • Police: 028 214 3900
  • Municipality Theewaterskloof; 028 214 3300
  • Traffic department: 028 212 287
  • Fire: 028 212 2574
  • Water:
  • Electricity: 083 310 0900
  • Ambulance:028 212 9111
  • Post office; 028 214 1228
  • Library: 028 214 3374 / 73
  • Closest hospital; 028 212 1072
  • Clinic 028 212 1572
  • Pharmacy; 028 214 1170
  • SPCA:Caledon Dierekliniek-028 214 1211
  • Caledon Tourism 028 212 3282
  • Schools: Overberg Primary School-028 214 1590
    Swartberg Primary School-028 212 1927
    The Glebe Primary School- 028 212 1593
    Swartberg Secondary School-0 28 212 1470
  • Home Affairs; 028 214 3700
  • Museum; 028 212 1511                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Local Listings

Search