- Province; Western Cape
- Coordinates: 34°11′36″S 18°26′00″E
- Municipality: City of Cape Town
- Area: 19.81 km2
History of Simon’s Town
Naval Base in False Bay
Simon’s Town lies on the shores of False Bay. In 1687, Simon van der Stel surveyed the area to find a safe winter anchorage for ships. During the winter months, Table Bay is battered with violent northwesterly gales, which, until a safe harbour was built in Cape Town, caused havoc with ships in the bay. He chose Yzelstein’s Bay and renamed it after himself. It remained the Cape winter anchorage until the breakwater was built at Table Bay.
Simon’s Town has been a naval base for over 200 years. First, the Dutch East India Company built a dockyard in 1743. The British later took it over in the 1790s.
The facility developed gradually, and in 1898, when it became apparent that a larger space was needed, construction of the modern harbour began. The harbour area covers over 11 hectares and includes a breakwater and drydock facilities.
St Georges Street, late 1800s
The Simon’s Town agreement saw it transferred to the South African Navy in 1957
There are quaint old Victorian buildings and walkways with little shops in Simon’s Town, along with interesting historical sites and museums, making it a lovely place to visit. The railway line from Kalk Bay to Simon’s Town started in 1889 and was completed and opened on 1 December 1890. The line was electrified with overhead catenary in 1928.
The Fish Spotter for Trek Fishing
The fish spotter, or “sighter,” played a vital role in the traditional trek fishing industry. At one point, Simonstown was home to eight trek fishing families operating from Smitswinkel Bay near Cape Point to Glencairn. They would go out two or three times a day — sometimes even at night when fish were plentiful — to earn their daily living.
The sighter’s job was crucial. He would climb the mountain early each morning with his lunch, two flags, a whistle, and binoculars. From his high vantage point, he would scan the coastline for shoals of fish. These were highly experienced fishermen, often able to identify both the type and quantity of fish in the water just by reading the sea’s movements.
When a shoal was spotted, the sighter would blow his whistle and use flag signals to guide the skipper to the exact location to cast the net. With their expertise, missed catches were rare.
Sadly, as apartheid policies took hold, these trek fishing operations were systematically shut down. The closure marked the loss of a livelihood, a way of life, and a deep-rooted fishing tradition.
WEATHER IN SIMON’S TOWN TODAY
see all listings in Simon’s town
Things to see and do in Simon’s Town:
- Boulders Beach, south of Simon’s Town, is home to one of just three colonies of African penguins, which have made their home there since 1985. Take a guided walking tour
- The British built a round 8-metre-high Martello Tower with walls 1.8 metres thick, within the Naval base shortly after it had annexed the Cape of Good Hope. This was a defence to ward off possible attacks by the Dutch or French. Today, it houses a small museum
- The South African Naval Museum houses a collection of maritime artefacts from the history of the SA Navy. The interior of a submarine and a ship’s bridge move to mimic the feel of waves on the sea. Admission is free; however, donations are welcome
- The Simon’s Town Museum was established in the Residency in 1977. This building was established in 1777 by Governor Joachim van Plettenberg. There is an exhibit that chronicles the story of just nuisance -021 786 3046
- Take a guided walking tour
- Warrior Toy Museum and Collectors Shop -021 786 1395
- The South African Navy Festival, held annually in October at the East Dockyard
- In 1886, the first public jetty using light timber was built. In 1905, this jetty was replaced using heavier timber. In 1921, reinforced concrete was used. It is one of the oldest structures of its type still in use today.
- Swartkop Peak at 678 m, starts on Jan Smuts Drive in Seaforth It is one of the best hikes, you get a 360 degree view over False Bay.
- The Heritage Museum reflects the history of the Muslim Community in King George’s Way.-021 786 2302
- From Barnard Street, is a long well constructed 340 steps staircase, originally built built to service the Signal School above on the Klaver Valley
- A statue of Just Nuisance, a beer-drinking Great Dane who was in the 1930s, the only dog ever to be officially enlisted in the Royal Navy, can be seen overlooking the harbour.
- Blackhill pass
- Simon’s Town docks
- Red Hill Village Ruins
- Ghost walk 076 190 4081
- Voicemap walking tour audio
Useful Numbers
- Police: 021 786 8646
- Traffic department: 021 786 8646
- Fire: 0214003908
- Water: 08601033089
- Electricity: 08601033089
- Ambulance: 10177
- Post office; 021 786 2114
- Closest hospital False Bay Hospital 021 782 1121
Institute for Maritime Medicine Military Hospital 021 787 4497 - Pharmacy; 021 786 2133
- SPCA: 021 700 4140
- Library: 021 786 1553
- Museum; 021 786 3046
- Civic Centre: 021 444 6948
- .Community hall; 021 702 6071
- Tourism 021 786 8440
- Schools:
Simon’s Town High School 021 786 1056
The City of Cape Town Public Emergency Communication Centre is available 24/7 for all life or property-threatening emergencies. Call 021 480 7700 from any phone or 107 from a landline or report online at https://bit.ly/3o4Ji3K
Updated November 2025