History of Citrusdal

Province: Western Cape
West Coast
Coordinates:32°35′22″S 19°00′53″E
Area:4.70 km2
The town of Citrusdal was born when the Dutch Reformed Church established a congregation there to serve the upper Olifants River valley. A town council was established only in 1957.
In 1660 Jan Van Riebeek sent a party to find a way over the mountains to the North and to Monomatapa. The local Bushmen showed the party the way and when the group saw about 300 elephants on the river bank they naturally named the river “The Olifants River”
The farm Modderfontein was established in the area and granted to Jurgen Hanekom where he farmed cattle to supply the VOC and the settlers in the Cape with fresh meat. The buildings on the farm dating back about 300 years are still standing today.
In 1855 Thomas Bain with convict labour built Grey’s Pass to replace the “breakneck” pass that had been used since 1660. It was completed in 1857.The property was sold to James McGregor in 1903 and the baths are still in the hands of his descendants. Testimonials about the healing powers of the springs are engraved on rocks in the area

The hot baths in Citrusdal at 43 degrees are said to be radioactive. They are to be found in a wooded ravine just south of Citrusdal. These springs have been known about since at least 1739. It was proposed that a homestead and huts were to be built there. Yhese were completed in1742
Citrusdal is known as the “Gateway to the Cederberg” It boasts fragrant citrus orchards and fields of wild Cape flowers

The postal code for Citrusdal is 7340 (Streets and Boxes)


see all listings in citrusdal


Things to see and do in Citrusdal:

  • -The Cederberg Observatory offers hikes in the area, but its main feature is naturally the observatory. with a 16-inch telescope that offers magnificent views of the starry sky..
  • The original canon that was used to signal the arrival of ships in Table Bay, is on the school grounds.
  • The Boerhuisie in town reflects the earliest building style of the district. The floor is made of peach pips.
  • Two million cases of citrus fruit are packed for export d from May to October.
  • The signal cannon that was on the summit of Pieknierskloof in 1759. It is now mounted on the grounds of the local high school.
  • The oldest orange tree in the country is on the farm Heksriver. It was destroyed by a fire in 1925 but it produced new shoots the following year. It still bears fruit today
  • Soldaatkop is a rock formation that can be seen when traveling back to Clanwilliam on the back road of the R364.
  • Wolfkop Nature reserve trail
  • Elandskloof pass
  • Piekenierskloof pass
  • Citrusdal Funduro- at Bydidam- 079 247 2394

Useful Numbers

  • Police: 022 921 8406
  • Municipality 022 482 8000
  • Traffic department:022 482 8016
  • Fire: 022 433 8700
  • Water: 078 828 7890
  • Electricity: 082 907 9494
  • Ambulance:022 921 2210
  • Post office;022 921 2250
  • Library:022 921 2181
  • Closest hospital; 022 921 2153/4/5
  • Pharmacy;022 921 2614
  • SPCA: animal rescue 022 921 2702
  • Schools:

Citrusdal primary-022 487 9400
Olifantsvallei Primary School-022 921 2100
Citrusdal Secondary School-0229212100
Cederberg Akademie-022 921 3104
Pomario Private School-022 125 0561
Kweekkraal NGK Primary School-087 020 0042
Paardekop NGK Primary School- 0229213981

  • Museum; 022 921 3210
  • Tourism ; 022 921 3210                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            [/vc_column_text]

Local Listings