Camps Bay

History of Camp’s Bay

Camps Bay, originally home to the Goringqhaique Khoi and nomadic San people, was a forested region with rich wildlife. As the Dutch established their presence in the Cape, these indigenous communities were gradually displaced. By 1657, the Goringqhaique had moved to Camps Bay, which would later become historically linked to Zwarte Maria Evert, the first known owner of the land.

Maria, born in 1663, was the daughter of enslaved parents taken from Benin. Her father was the first male slave freed in the Cape, and he eventually gained freedom for both Maria and her mother. He had been granted a plot of land, where he lived and ran a garden. Maria sold the produce from the garden for her father. She learnt how to make deals and how one could acquire land, and she became the owner of several Farms in the Cape.

Through her business dealings and land acquisitions, Maria became wealthy. In 1713, she was granted a title deed for land that included what is now Camps Bay.

However, in the same year, a smallpox outbreak from a Danish ship led to a deadly epidemic. Soiled linen was sent ashore to washerwomen in Cape Town. This initiated the epidemic that spread throughout the entire colony.  It claimed Maria’s life and her son’s. However, she left behind a considerable estate, as one of the wealthiest people in the colony.

By 1713, the Goringqhaique settlement was confined to Oudekraal. The area was then granted to John Lodewyk Wernich, who passed it on to his son Johan. Johan married Anna Koekemoer, and after he died in 1778, Anna married Fredrick Ernst von Kamptz, a Dutch sailor. As a result, the area became known as Die Baai von Kamptz.

. For about 100 years, Camps Bay remained largely undeveloped and was primarily used for hunting. The construction of Victoria Road in the late 1800s and the introduction of a tramway in 1901 boosted accessibility and spurred further development, transforming Camps Bay into a recreational hotspot.

The Twelve apostles

The iconic Twelve Apostles Mountain Range forms the back of Table Mountain, which overlooks Camps Bay. The range stretches from Kloof Nek, between Table Mountain and Lion’s Head, to Hout Bay.

Victoria Road runs the whole length of the mountain range, with spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean on one side and the ridges, ravines and gorges of the Twelve Apostles on the other.

The series of mountains comprises 18 peaks, although the exact count depends on how one defines a peak. Each peak in the range has a name, arranged from north to south: Kloof, Fountain, Porcupine, Jubilee, Barrier, Valken, Kasteel, Postern, Wood, Spring, Slangolie, Corridor, Separation, Victoria, Grove, Llandudno Peak, Llandudno Corridor, and Hout Bay Corner. Kasteels Buttress and Postern Buttress were named because they resemble a castle.

Before 1795, the peaks of the mountain range known as the Apostles had different names. They were referred to as Kasteelbergen (Castle Mountains) and Gewelbergen (Gable Mountains).

Victoria Road

By the mid-1800s, as Cape Town was growing, improved access routes were needed. A rough track was built over Kloof Nek down to Camps Bay, and then along the coast to Hout Bay. The roads were rather rudimentary, and by 1884, it was decided that Thomas Bain should be called in to build a proper road along the Atlantic Seaboard. The road was completed in 1888, using convict labour. The road was completed in 1887 and named in honour of Queen Victoria’s jubilee in 1888. Victoria Drive, despite various improvements, still substantially follows Bain’s original course. The road begins in  Sea Point, it passes through Camps Bay on to Hout Bay. In 1901, a tramline was built between the city and Camps Bay.

         

Vintage pictures from Saartjie Klipkop, First house in Camps Bay

Today, the suburb is an upmarket and popular area, known for its beach, which has Blue Flag status. The bay’s geography, protected from the South-Easterly winds, makes it relatively windless. Glen Beach, adjacent to Camps Bay Beach and divided by a rocky outcrop that becomes a single stretch of sand in summer, is popular with surfers but not suitable for swimming. It is usually less crowded than the main beach

Postcodes in Camps Bay are 8005 (Streets) and 8040 (Boxes)

Things to see and do in Camps Bay

  • The Round House
  • Little Glen playground is a playground in the Little Glen Nature Area. There is a jungle gym & tree swings
  • Beach playground, next to the tidal pool.
  • Signal Hill Road
  • Kloof Nek Road, one of South Africa’s oldest roads, was built in 1848.
  • Ingleside Road Park has amazing views! The play area has great views of the Atlantic Ocean and the Twelve Apostles.

WEATHER IN CAMPS BAY TODAY

All listings in Camps Bay

Useful Numbers

  • Police: 021 437 8150
  • Traffic department: Gallows Hill: 021 444 3811
  • Fire: Sea Point 021 434 2020
  • Water: Department of Water and Sanitation 021 546 3452/0860 103 089
  • Electricity: 0860 103 089
  • Ambulance: 10177
  • Post office: 021 438 9640
  • Library; 021 444 0487
  • Closest hospital/clinic: Somerset Hospital, Green Point 021 402 6911
  • Pharmacy; 021 438 2088
  • SPCA: Cape of Good Hope ( Grassy Park) 021 700 4140
  • Schools: Camps Bay High: 021 438 1507
    Camps Bay Primary: 021 438 1503
    Camps Bay Preparatory: 021 438 8075
  • Ratepayers Association: 083 628 9105/021 438 8287

 

Search