History

Province: Western Cape
Winelands
Coordinates:33°55′S 19°08′E
Area:7.05 km2
Municipality: Stellenbosch

Franschhoek is relatively remote and the Franschhoek valley has mountains on three sides. Before it was Franschhoek it was called Olifanthoek by early settlers as elephant cows chose the protected valley for raising their calves
Huguenots who arrived from France in 1688 were allotted farms in Drakenstein where the soil was of poor quality. They appealed to Governor Simon van der Stel to move to better farms. In 1694 9 farms were allocated in the Olifantshoek area along the Franschhoek river. These farms were later subdivided and named after areas in France.
The Huguenots brought with them agricultural expertise and many of the original farms are renowned wineries where the original Cape Dutch, French-influenced buildings can still be seen.
Franschhoek was first called de France Hoek (The French Corner), It was later shortened to Franschhoek. In 1805 the name Franschhoek or La Petite Rochelle was given by the Commissioner-General of the Batavian Republic. Jau De Mist, The town was declared a municipality only in 1881.
The earliest track over the mountains was made by the elephants but the track was rough and uneven and therefore unsuitable for wagons. Simon Van Der Stel organized a gang of slaves to make a road, estimating it would take just a few months. 125 years later 1819 was the first time a fairly passable road was created by SJ Cats. The road became known as “Cats se Pad” which though arduous was in use till 1825 when Lord Charles Somerset used soldiers from the Royal Africa Corps to build a new road. A stone bridge was built at Jan Joubertsgat which was so-called because he died there. The bridge can still be seen today and it is the oldest bridge currently in use. The road was used until 1933 when the present road was completed. It was modified and tarred in 1960.
The arrival of the Huguenots changed the face of the area and there was much French influence in the culture and language. Many South African surnames are of Huguenot origin such as Malherbe, Terreblanche, Du Toit, Marais, Du Plessis, and others.

The postcode in Franschhoek is 7690

WEATHER IN FRANSCHHOEK TODAY

all listings in franschoek

 

Things to see and do in Franschhoek

  • The Huguenot Monument, which was erected in 1938 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the arrival of the Huguenots at the Cape, was ceremonially inaugurated on 17th April 1948.
  • Franschhoek open gardens, in aid of Fleur de Lis Age Home, held in October 073 535 0007
  • Franscherk walking tours   072 999 8581

Useful Numbers

  • Police: Saps Franschhoek-021 876 8061
  • Municipality: 021 808 8700
  • Traffic department :Stellenbosch -021 808 8800
  • Fire: Paarl Brandweer-021 872 2323
  • Water:021 808 8700
  • Electricity:021 808 8700
  • Ambulance:10177
  • Post office;Franschhoek Post Office-021 876 2342
  • Local newspaper: Franschoek Tatler 021 876 3460  info@franschhoektatler.co.za
  • Library:Franschhoek Public Library-021 808 8406
  • Closest hospital;Franschoek Clinic-021 876 2172
  • Pharmacy;Link Franschhoek Pharmacy-021 876 2261
  • SPCA:021 876 4808
  • Schools
  • :Franschhoek High School-021 876 207
  •  Groendal Secondary School-021 876 2211
  • Dalubuhle Primary School-021 876 3957
  • Wes-Eind Primary School-021 876 2360
  • Groendal Primary School-021 876 2448
  • Bridge House School-021 874 8100
  • Simond Privaatskool-021 874 1196
  • Museums;
  • Franschhoek Motor Museum-021 874 9002
  • First South African Perfume Museum-072 342 4174
  • Huguenot Memorial Museum- 021 876 2532
  • Tourism ; 021 876 3603[/vc_column_text]
    [/vc_column][/vc_row]

Local Listings